abs light

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Fri Nov 12 1999 - 10:29:17 EST

A while ago, someone posted that he had a problem with
the ABS and Parking lamps staying on after startup. The
DMLer was taking it in to have it checked.

Can you tell me what the problem was about and how it
was resolved? Thanks very much.

-My pedal would sink to the floor while sitting in traffic on my '92.
After trying 2 reman. master cylinders and a new one, one of my techs at
work told me that he read a technical bulletin about the abs solenoid
mounted on the left rear frame rail. It said to remove the big nut
covering the rear part of the solenoid, and stick a short screwdriver
into the hole until it contacts the piston. Then have someone push on
the brake pedal. The piston should stay where it's at. If it moves,
that is what was causing the sinking pedal.
  We tried this with my truck, and the piston moved. I replaced the
unit, I believe it was @ $150. Never had a problem until about 6 months
later, pedal was at the floor all the time. Had to replace the new
master cylinder I had just put on! Piece of crap. New or reman, I
guess they're all junk!
Patrick