Little Shifter Problem=Big Tranny Problem

From: Frank Johnson (frankwjohnson@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 12 1999 - 14:55:45 EST

Well, you may remember that my Dak is a whopping 4 days old and i had posted
this week that i was having a minor problem with the automatic shifter.
Last night i'm driving around looking for my buddy's new place and all of a
sudden i'm losing speed compared to RPM's, like i should be accelerating a
lot faster at 2000 RPM than i was. About 30 seconds after i notice this, a
service engine light comes on--ARGHHH!!!!!
So i get to my friends place and decide maybe a cpu reset might do the trick
as maybe it's just a minor electrical problem. So after hunting around for
an hour for the right size wrench and disconnecting the battery, i chill out
and relax for a while. An hour passes and i hook the battery back up. Same
light is on, same problem with acceleration. So i drive home in 2nd, as it
doesn't seem as bad in that gear, and get to the service garage this
morning. O, and i forgot to mention that it says driving for extended
distances with this light on can seriously damage your engine cotrol system,
ie. your cpu etc.
So service guy takes a look and says it's probably just a minor electrical
problem. I didn't buy that but held my tongue.
O, and i was planning on taking a trip to show my friend my new Dak and he
lives about 3 hours away. So i tell him this and says no problem with a
loaner, like i expect--one good thing anyway. He also says that i should
get the truck back later today.
I just got off the phone with him and now they have to do a whole
transmission overhaul. And they don't have any books or parts cause the
model is brand new. So basically it's gonna be in there awhile.

Well, this has been the first Dodge that i have ever owned. So far i'm not
impressed. My father purchased a 99 minivan this summer, and we have
identified 7 different rattles, and 3 different interior moldings aren't
clipped on properly.
While everyone at the service garage was very helpful and friendly, this
does not change the fact that my truck was only 3 days old when it needs
it's 2nd tranny.
So far my dodge experience has been great service, but low build quality.
I love my truck, all around it's great. But why the hell would it need a
replacement transmission?

Anyways, i'm very pissed, but still taking my trip.

Frank WJ