Re: Engine codes

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Nov 13 1999 - 07:11:29 EST

At 11:26 PM 11/12/99 -0600, you wrote:
>The Check Engine light on my truck is on and I was trying to get the code(s)
>on it by turning the on/off switch on three times in a row. Either I was
>doing it wrong or there are no codes available. Does anyone know what the
>proper procedure is? Thanks. <snip> Gilbert Vega '98 BL CC R/T

Access to any codes were changed in '98. Here's the new procedure.

Simultaneously depress the trip reset and trip/odometer switches,
and, while holding them, turn the ignition to ON/RUN, and wait about 5
seconds. This sends the car through a short self-test sequence that lights
all segments of the odometer and shift selector read-out (where
applicable). It will then display the stored error codes.

Good luck.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.