Re: Re: Upgraded lighting!! whoo hoo!

From: Dester223@aol.com
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 23:28:53 EST

Whew hoo! someone is interested.

here it is. for the whole list to digest!

Materials:
-12v relay (6.00 at radio shack) basic ground in, remote in, power in and
relay out..
-wiring (I used 14 gauge, thinking of going lower.. not too sure of yet)
-wire crimper/cutter
-butt connectors or soldering iron..
-female disconects to plug into relay (used 14 gauge because female
disconnects are commonly found for 14 gauge wire applications) the blue
ones!
-an hour of time
-fuse holder if you want to be safe
-about an hour of your time and some electrical tape (that HAS to be a given.)

I started by finding a place for the relay (I really need a digital camera!)
after i found that. I ran power from the battery to it (since i have a fuse
holder, I kept the fuse out just to be safe) i connected it to Mr. Relay
and he was happy.

Second. I connected a ground to the relay (also simple)

3rd. tricky part. Disconnect the light socket. I thought this would be the
best way. I cut the plastic sleeve that held the 3 wires together.. there's
a black, purple and red. With a test light and normal head light on. The
black was a ground wire (duh!) and the purple toggled the regular head
lights and the red toggles the high beams. (HM!! high beam and low beam on
at the same time? i bet i could do it!) anyways. for the "remote wire" i
cut the purple one with enough room on both ends to add butt connectors.
from the truck.. i connect that part of the wire to the relay. and on the
power output of the relay. I connected that part into the light bulb socket
harness. basically. i severed the original connection and used the "small"
stock wire as a remote wire and then tapped into the remaining wire on the
harness and that plugs into the headlight. simple?
-Dester

PS. Do the same to the other side and Viola! you're done. I decided to use
just one relay and split the wires from the relay to the bulbs. I have not
tested how well it lights up the road yet, but i will report soon...

<< Dester,

 Do you have any pics on this or any detailed information you could send me
 about how exactly you did this. I am curious about this mod but am not
 exactly a genius when it comes to fooling with electrical hook ups.

 Thanks,

 John Miller >>