Re: Flexalite Fan, Vibration Info and General Install

From: GS- (GSWillhite@ualr.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 12:58:24 EST

EPW548@aol.com wrote:
> Finally, someone that has installed the Flex dual fan. Can you shed some
> light on the install. When you say fabrication, what and how did you do it. I
> live in Las Vegas and the summers are hot,hot,hot and my application is a 5.2
> 4X4. I have thought about the 15" as well but think the dual would provide
> more cooling area. Thanks for the info.

Yep, Its cooling great, but I'm a little down right now. I just called
Flex-a-lite 1-800-851-1510 to find out if the vibration the 220 has is
normal,
its not! So after the perfect install, its has to come off. The Flex
folks are
doing me right tho, They said ship it to 'em and they'll fix it. So...

The most difficult problem I had is mounting. I had to cut up some of
the new plastic mounting brackets (supplied with the fan) to make it fit
to the radiator shroud mounts. The 220 will overlap the radiator FIN
area
by 1 inch or so on both sides. Using a dremel I had to trim away some
plastic
on the shroud mounts to the passenger side to make the fan fit flush.
Then I
used silicone to seal up the slight overlap on the drivers side of the
radiator.
When I say overlap, I talking about the radiator fin area and not the
whole
radiator. I was only able to use 1 radiator shroud mount (top radiator
hose area) INSIDE the 220 fan. I also used this as an index. The other 3
had to be mounted external to the fan using the brackets supplied, and
these had to be modified.I mounted the fan after the brackets were
completed with stainless 1/4"X 1 1/2" lockwashers, Nuts and bolts. One
word to the wise, drain and remove the radiator.
Its much easier to do the fan mod and if you have a few miles on the
Dak,(30K for
me), you can clean out the bugs by backflushing before mounting the fan.
BTW,
The radiator was easy to remove, 2 bolts up top, loosen 2 hoses and and
lift
up, it unplugs from the bottom.

Wiring was easy. I used Haydens 3647 adustable thermostat kit which
includes
a 30/40 amp relay. You might as well go with the 210 Flex which includes
the thermostat kit. I originally designed my own relay circuit, but the
Hayden
was sealed in plastic and epoxy with everything you need, appears to be
weather
proof and was too convenient. The fan works great and cools down fast,
but I'll
have to get the vibration repaired imediately. Sooooo frustrating....

GS -

98 5.2L 5spd