Sensor Replacement/Maintenace

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Nov 21 1999 - 01:48:43 EST

I am trying to make my Dak run better, to do some maintenance on it, and
hopefully in retain help it last longer. My truck has 113,500 miles on it. I
recently did replace my Champion Truck Plugs with some Autolite plugs, which
made the truck run alot better and get alot better gas mileage. Now I am
turning my attention to the sensors, maybe hoping that by replacing one,
two, or a few will help even more. My question is this: If I am not getting
an fault codes, does this mean that the sensors are good or that they are
still within "reason" or "tolerance." The only sensor I replaced was the
oxygen sensor this summer, after being on for some 100,000 miles. I had to
replace the EGR valve also in the Spring '99. I did have the AIS(automatic
idle sensor) replaced one time under warranty and learned after having the
fault code for this come up again when it was out of warranty that it can
just be cleaned(due to carbon build up) and the code goes away. I am
familiar with 2 engine coolant temp sensors on the manifold, one for the
computer and one for the temp guage. I was told that the 2 wired sensor
threaded into the manifold goes bad often, and this would cause inaccurate
temp readings by the computer which could make my Dak run poor, cause the
puter would think the truck was cold when it was warmed up or vise versa. Is
this true? Any other sensors I can check easily or have checked easily?
Crankshaft Postion Sensor? MAP? What about the TPS sensor, can it be cleaned
or do they go bad? I wont go out of course and put all new sensors in my
truck, just trying to pinpoint some problem areas and watch for things.
Thanks.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6; MSD 6-Offroad Ignition, MSD 8.5MM Super Conductors, Accel
Super Coil, Borg Warner Brass Cap/Rotors, Autolite Plugs