Nate's Po'boy K&N (Kinda long but informative)

From: Nate Johnson (natedak2k@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 22 1999 - 16:26:02 EST

Well, I put in my Po'boy this weekend. Pretty easy install, Ran some ABS
down twords the rad/grill etc... I've got pictures developing if anyones
interested. Looks DANG good painted black with my HUGE K&N stickin' off
the end of it (9" X 6.5"). Looks almost OEM! My butt dyno tells me I've
defintly got quicker throttle response and probably a horsie or two or
three more than before under there! She sounds AWESOME! At WOT that
puppy just growls like she never did before. But, seeing as I performed
this mod mainly for fuel economy purposes I did a little test and this is
how it came out.

Stock - 75Mph @ 2450 RPM for 20 Miles = 17.2 MPG
Po'boy BEFORE computer reset - 75Mph @ 2450 RPM for 20 Miles = 16.1 MPG
Po'boy AFTER computer reset - 75Mph @ 2450 RPM for 20 Miles = 17.7 MPG
(Same stretch of road used for all tests, temp ranged from 41 to 47
degrees)

First we learn a lesson here! DON'T FORGET TO RESET THE COMPUPER! As you
can see this made a BIG difference. (I did it on purpose to see what would
happen!)

Overall I wasn't to happy with the gains, .5 MPG better! I guess over the
loooong haul this could make a difference! Is this about the standard
gain or are other people experiencing better? I've got a buddy that has
the 318 and a K&N drop in and is getting 21 MPG on the highway! How long
does it take these engines to wake up?

My last test, which I haven't performed yet. I'm going to run through an
OBDII driving cycle and retest to see if it makes much of a difference!
Well see!

One last question! How do K&N's and water/mud/slush get along together?
I came back from runnin' in the snow etc... on Sunday, popped the hood and
found mud and slush splashed on my tube. I'm sure it got on the filter
too although I can't see it! Will the K&N pass water?

=====
Nate, Ogden UT
00 Dakota CC 4X4, LSD, 3.92 Rear, 4.7L/287ci, Po'boy cold air w/ K&N, Forest Green, Extang BlackMax Tonneau
"D2K"