Re: Canadian import duty (was: JBA V6 header Group Buy)

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 25 1999 - 12:43:07 EST

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Ed Estoppey wrote:

> yeah, but you got to be careful, i bought my wheels, and had them delivered to
> thhe us where i could pick em up, i got busted at the border, what a mess, i was
> there for an hour trying to convince them i had the wheels in the bed the whole
> time... they take that stuff very seriously!!!!!! i could have lost my dak,
> along with the wheels , and got a hefty fine

   Ed,

  What was the problem there? Is it just because you told them you had
them all along, or was it something else? Basically what I'm concerned
about is, if I try to bring stuff across the border for you guys, will I
have a problem? What's the difference between that and you ordering the
K&N where you didn't have to pay a duty?

  I don't mind declaring it and paying the GST (you still save on the
customs broker fee and shipping), but I'd like to be legal; I'd kinda
like to hang onto my Dak for a while, ya know? :-)

  Thanks!

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |