Re: Re: Ignition choices?

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Nov 25 1999 - 21:43:17 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: <WillTier@aol.com>
To: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 25, 1999 7:31 PM
Subject: Re: DML: Re: Ignition choices?

> Just a comment or two. This usually turns into war but I hate to see folks
> waste money. I know of 3 proven cases where the aftermarket ignitions have
> hurt performance ( proven by 2 separate cases at the track and a 3rd by
> g-tech) Two of these were Jacobs Pro Streets and Mine is a MSD 6A. As I
>have mentioned before I do use the MSD when running juice as I need to be
>able to retard the timing but I have rigged up a setup (with a switch and
a >sloenoid) where I can switch back to stock when not running juice.
However >I have the MSD Blaster 3 coil which I use with both ignitions. I
have not >proven a gain or loss with just the coil but I feel there is a
slight gain as I have >my plugs gapped at .042 ( calls for .035) and I do
not have any problems with > miss fires which I did notice a little of
before at top end. This may or
> maynot have been coil related ? But it does seem to work OK with it. The
>6A and the Jacobs both resulted in about .2 and 2 mph loss in the 1/4 mile
>using it and I can prove it at any time by flipping the switch. There have
been a couple of occasions where I went racing and did some nitrous runs
for testing > but did not use the nitrous for the bracket race and forgot to
flip the
> switch and using a dial in of what I normally run off the juice and
without
> the 6A and ended up running .2 and 2 mph off my dial and losing out. Jon
Has been there and seen this happen and no Jon it wasn't that funny :-)
> Take it for what it worth to ya ?? I know some others who were going to
go > to the track and check this out bnut never heard back any results ??

Bill,
Maybe for your uses, an aftermarket ignition wasnt worth the money, but I
would not give mine up for anything. When I installed my MSD ignition, I
used MSD's universal wiring harness(8873) which allows me to simply unplug
the MSD igntion and plug right back into the coil. I do ocassionally unplug
it and run my Dak without the MSD system, and it plain sucks. True, I have
never and will never run my Dak down a 1/4 mile strip, cause I have no
desire to. But when I am out 4wheelin and enjoying nature, towing my Lake
Michigan 20ft boat, hauling wood for a camping/hunting trip---I love the
extra little bit of performance the MSD box make for my truck. Not to
mention how much better it makes my truck idle/run overall. So you can take
that .3 seconds/3mph decreaseand stick with that, but I love my aftermarket
ignition and would recommend it to anyone out there. Sorry to hear you dont
like it though, cause I do! I do understand though different trucks with
different mods will react in various ways to the different systems. Good
Luck!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6; MSD 6-Offroad, MSD 8.5MM Super Conductors, Accel Super
Coil, Autolite Copper Plugs(.050), Borg Warner Select Brass Cap/Rotor