Re: Turbochargers on Daks. Was: Re: RE:discrimination against low tru...

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 26 1999 - 13:12:24 EST

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999 Kabuki2@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/25/99 10:52:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu writes:
>
> << Sure, why not? I don't see why it has to be much more difficult than
> a centrifugal blower install. True, you need the custom headers and
> plumbing for an oil line and an intercooler, and there are a couple of
> extra things like a blowoff valve, but that's just "busy work"... Or
> am I missing something? (Please tell me if I am, I hate surprises
> in the middle of a project.) :-) >>
>
> I'd beg to differ....
>
> My Vortech kit came with everything needed to supercharge my truck in 8-10
> hrs. It was a 100% complete kit down to the zip ties I needed to tie the
> wiring harness' out of my way.
>
> Can't really beat that ....

   For sure; no doubt about that! Sorry, I wasn't too specific about
what I was talkin' about. No way is a blower (especially one that has
to be fabbed up from scratch) going to be as easy as a Vortech kit,
but basically, if I can avoid cutting the firewall and fender wells
(and keep all the components bolt-on), I'll be happy.

> << Hmmm, good point. I assume a single blower could be sufficiently
> powered by the 4 exhaust ports on the side of a V8? Maybe what I should
> do is to design it for one blower at first, work out all the problems,
> and if it becomes nescessary/desireable to have 2, I can basically just
> mirror the work on the other side... I'm pretty sure the Magnum heads
> are symetrical, so if I design it right, I *should* be able to use the
> same turbo header on both sides of the engine. (Unless there's a
> clearance issue, of course.) >>
>
> For drag racing purposes, you could probably get away with one single turbo
> ... although a twin setup would be nice.

  Yep, plus it rolls off the tounge so much better, doesn't it? ;-)

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |