Re: [socaldoc] Tough Night at Track (a little long)

From: Ed Halterman (OLZNUT@webtv.net)
Date: Sat Nov 27 1999 - 03:24:26 EST

O-K, here's how eventful my day was, in order of happening 1-had a flat
tire when I went in my garage this morning to get ready for the track
(not good). 2-after getting tire fixed, went to K-Mart and they still
had Mobil 1 filters (M1-204, fyi). 3-I couldn't get on line from about
noon until I left, therefore missing the messages from Jim & Sam saying
that they can't go (found out tonight!!). 3-whoops, empty wallet, gotta
find bank, no prob. 4-Meet Rob & Steven at In-N-Out, (YUM!!) ordered to
go, and ate on the road, not realizing they didn't salt their (rarely)
over-cooked fries (YUCK!!) 5-Get to track, perfect weather, made 4
passes, and noticed a few things. The JET 2 WORKS!! Ran it with and
without it, back to back. Knocked 3 tenths off and picked up 2 mph.
Manual shifting at 5,000 helps, too. Tailgate up or down doesen't make a
noticeable difference.
    Now, I'm gonna get brave in saying that since Steven ran a 16.8 at
sea level and got a 17.5 at 3,000 ft elevation, that's a .7 difference,
so I'm gonna say that my best of 18.2@74 may be a 17.5. That's quite a
difference over a stocker. Does anyone know how to calculate altitude
vs. e-t's??
     Now for the interesting part, Rob, with his '00 4.7 SLT 4x4 was
only 1 second and 3 mph faster than me!! That makes me feel good about
my lil' V-6. He says that it weighs 4,100 lbs, which is only 200 lbs
heavier than mine. So, to sum it up, we had alot of fun. Gotta
do it again soon, didn't realize how off my reaction time is!! .525,
.340, .283, .506, but I left Rob napping every time, LOL!!!! He had a
.853 (ZZZZZ!!) to my .525, then a .629 to my .506, but I watched him
come around me about 1/4 of the way down. Gotta get some gears and
headers!! Man, all I could do off the line is a little "e-e-e" from the
tires. Need more bottom end!! But, I averaged 18 mpg the whole trip.
Not bad!! And it's all on MY 8mm camcorder tape that Rob has now and
will be copying to VHS for all of us to see, as well whatever he got on
his camcorder. One more question, when can we race again, but at sea
level this time?? Later!!

Ed "Olznut" Halterman Sunland, Ca
'97 Dakota SLT+ CC Auto, 3.9 V-6