Re: Paint

From: BoogYT1300@aol.com
Date: Sat Nov 27 1999 - 17:40:48 EST

In a message dated 11/27/99 12:17:33 PM Pacific Standard Time,
moob7995@kettering.edu writes:

<< I need to do some minor paint touch up on my '94 dakota and my dad's
 '98. After doing some checking around the only option I was left with was
 a custom mix of a pint for like 20 bucks, and it won't match exactly
 anyway. Shouldn't the dealer be able to help me with this? Anybody have
 any recommendations? Thx.
 -Jay

Jay
Its true. Factory paint and aftermarket paint is different. One, you have
different qualities of paint and two you have to factor in fading and
oxidation.
Are you spraying the paint? You may want to comsider this if you are buying
a pint of paint, since you will need a catalyst and reducer.
When it comes to touching up, and you want to do it right, you have to sand
down a bigger area and and layer the paint. When your sanding, the deepest
cut should be the point where the damage is. If you have to go down to bare
metal then you may be better off painting the whole panel since you will have
to treat it with electrolytes and then prime it again.
The paint should be sprayed in a bullseye-like pattern, from the center out.
Shoot one layer let it dry, then shoot another layer that extends beyond the
first. The third layer should cover the rest, depending on the amount of
area being painted.
I would recommend a single stage paint for spot jobs. Todays urethanes have
clear mixed in the paint to give it luster. If you are going to do a whole
panel, then go with a basecoat clearcoat. It will cost more, but the color
match problem will not be as bad.
Color matching is somewhat of an art, sometimes there are ten variations of
one factory color. Some are dirtier, lighter, darker, greener, yadda yadda...
Thats why if you are really concerned about the outcome of the job, you may
be better off taking it to a veteran painter. You will pay for it, but it
will look good.
Well, I think I babbled enough for one post. Any more questions, I will be
glad to answer them.
Boog