RE: mileage

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 18:55:37 EST

Just to add fuel to the fire.....

My best is just over 23MPG averaging just over 73MPH. This was on a long
trip (Beeville, TX to Bonesteel, SD) 2 years ago December. Those figures
were averaged over about 4 tankfuls of gas - each time topped off. Speed
was calculated using time and distance traveled (so I was actually cruising
close to 80MPH, when taking into account slowing for small towns, stop
signs, etc.).

I now have tires which are 2" smaller-diameter than stock, on the same trip
I average 20-21MPG at roughly the same speed. I just got some "tall" winter
tires (235/75/15) that I will put on for the trip up there this December.
Starting elevation (now) and ending elevation are roughly the same with
hills and various terrain in between. I'll let y'all know what my mileage
is in about 3 weeks or so....

Fwiw, I have an auto tranny & the truck now has just over 144k on it.

Btw, there are two arguments about putting the tailgate UP or DOWN. One
camp, backed by aerodynamics engineers, says tailgate UP will get better
MPG. The other camp, backed by peoples' gut feelings (and no scientific
data that I've yet seen), says tailgate DOWN will get better MPG. My
personal experience allows me to side with the aerodynamicists....

--
'92 Dak CC 2wd 318 3.55
'84 GoldWing Interstate