Re: Camshaft.... (Go for it, or not?)

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 23:06:18 EST

At 08:57 PM 11/29/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Has anyone put a cam in their 318? MPP#P5249549 (R/T Cam)
>Was wondering if ya have.. Was it worth the $$$?

By itself, no. As part of a package of complementary performance parts
which is equivalent to the MP Magnum R/T package, yes.

>And How hard was it, or did ya have it installed.... (My dad can prolly
>install it...) <snip>

I had it installed by an engine builder...took 2 days. The cam kit comes
with lifters. MP strongly recommends that MP retainers and valve springs
be used with it. While the engine was opened up, I had the MP 1.6 aluminum
rocker arm and pushrod kit installed. Almost every bolt that needs to be
removed goes into a water jacket. Thus, the rad coolant needs to be drained.
The rad itself needs to be loosen so that it can be tipped away from the
block as the cam is just a bit too long to be put in with the rad in place.
Also, a good idea to replace the timing chain at the same time.

>Tim Berry -- Chesapeake, VA
>`97 SLT 318 auto CC 2x4 LSD: dual exaust w/Flowmaster
>K&N Drop In, 180 T-stat, Free Ram Air, Accel 8.5's
>BFG 235/70's... BEST 1/4 15.836 @ 84.93 MPH
>ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

To bring your mods equivalent to the Magnum R/T package, you will need to
add headers and a performance computer. Your power band will be moved up
with a little of low end loss but the engine will pull strongly from 3000
rpm to about 5500 rpm.

If you add a ported tb, it'll bring back the low end (and more) as well as add
hp and torque throughout the power band.

I'm guessing your gear ratio is a 3.55:1, and I don't know what your truck
weighs.
Mine weighs 4,350 lb (truck, driver, 1/2 tank). If your truck is approx. this
weight, you will need all of the above plus drag radials and an effective
gear ratio
close to 3.90:1 to run 14s based on my personal experience.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.