Re: Stainless Brake lines

From: Mike Gibbons (gibbons@fn.net)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 08:08:11 EST

I mention these things because you made a blanket statement that braided SS
lines are a P.O.S. You also said that rubber is safer. I disagree. I bring
up the comparison with aircraft because I think this application is the
ultimate test of a line. As for dirt getting into the braid, check an
aircraft based out of Midland/Odessa or Lubbock Texas. The red dirt and
sand get into EVERYTHING. In my 12 years as an aircraft mechanic, I have
never encountered a line I could say broke down because of dirt in the
braid. As for articulation, a truck's brake line may bend or flex maybe 30,
35 deg max. Typical retractable landing gear will 'flex', or articulate a
minimum of about 90 deg with every retraction/extension. Regarding
inspections, yes, aircraft are inspected religiously, but it's not the
inspections that keep the lines from failing, it's their reliability. IMHO,
if a component can withstand the extreme conditions encountered in
aviation, automotive use is a cakewalk.

Mike G.