Re: Car Amp Specs/Help...Long

From: Dester223@aol.com
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 00:29:56 EST

I want to stress 2 things while we're on sound systems.. Did you know not
enough power blows more speakers and sub than TOO much power.. it's true.

When an amp is happily putting out 50 watts (lets use a 200 watt amp as an
example) it doesn't clip the wave and cause distortion. Distortion is what
blows subs and speakers.

put that up against a 50w max amp and try to push 50 watts out of it. it'll
distort, sound like crap (well, a lil OVER emphasised) and blow the speaker..

what I'm trying to say is. A speaker will take clean power better than it
could take dirty power. 50 watts should be fine for small speakers.

The second thing I'd like to add is.. DO IT RIGHT the first time. Don't get
something just because it's cheap. I did that when I first bought my system,
and now I've gone thru about 7 amps and a lot of sub/speaker/headunit
combinatinos. just do it right and be happy.
-Dester

<< Well i hope some of this might help you out. Hope i wasn't a school
 teacher tellin stuff you already know, heh. Good luck with the installation
 of things.
   Dan