Oil Pressure gauge - acting up

From: brian.duffey@intelsat.int
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 15:24:12 EST

DML,

Passed few weeks I've been off the list (off hunting) and while crossing the
hi-ways & by-ways, I've notice my Oil Warning light coming on and the
Pressure gauge acting funny.

I'll glance down at the dash & notice the Red Check oil warning light is on.
Look at the gauge, and it reads that I've got no Oil Pressure (pretty
alarming first time around!!)

This only lasts for a moment, then the red warning light goes off and the
gauge returns to its normal spot (just right of center, or at about 3/4).
typically I've notice this after running on the hi-way for a while, then
pulling onto another road & coming to a stop. It almost seems like the mild
nose dive from braking moves oil forward & resolves the low pressure status
the monitor is getting (does that make sense?)

I've checked the oil, and it was low, but did not seem so low as to cause a
warning light or for the gauge to drop to zero pressure. The truck hasn't
been running rough either, and no significant oil drips after being parked
for long periods.

Any suggestions out there? As my Sig line says below, its a
'95/318/Auto/4x4.
Do these have something like an Oil Pressure sending unit, that has maybe
gone bad?
Have not gotten the Check Engine light, so no codes to pull, I guess.

Any suggestions on where to start looking will be appreciated... Thanks!

Duff
'95 SLT 4x4 CC 318 4spd/OD - 3.55 LSD
MSD 6AL - MSD Blaster Coil
MSD 8.5 wires - K&N FIPK - F&B Stage I TBI