Tundra owners question-kinda funny

From: J McKinney (bigmopar4x4@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 17:47:52 EST

Got this from the Off-Road board. Obviously this guy's a
1st time 4WD owner, but a $30,000 Truck with the
much-vaunted T(u)RD package and Toyota doesn't even include
a locker or limited slip? (not even an option on the
Tundra)
I'll stick with my $22,300 locker-equipped Dakota.

Subject
              2000 Tundra

Posted by
              bryon
Posted on
              Tue Dec 7 11:32:14 1999
>From IP
              207.126.83.48

Situation:

I have a 2000 Tundra V8 Extra cab SR5 4x4 Automatic with
the TRD package. I
approached a very steep hill at an angle while the 4 wheel
drive was engaged. Because of
the angle of the hill and the angle of my approach, the
left rear wheel was off the ground a
few inches. The right front wheel was barely touching the
ground. As I accelerated, the left
rear and right front wheels spun helplessly. There was no
power going to the right rear or
left front wheel.

Question:

Is there a problem with my 4 wheel drive system, or is this
normal? It was my
understanding that the rear axle did not have a limited
slip differential but that the front axle
always had power going to both wheels. If the front axle
has a differential just like the rear
axle, then why can't I drive on the highway in 4 wheel
drive? I spent $30,000 on this truck
and I am going to be awfully upset if it can’t get up a
hill that my father’s 2 wheel drive
Dodge Ram (or Dakota, I had to add that) with limited slip
can climb. If this is normal, then please let me know if
there is
an after-market remedy. I would appreciate any information
you can give me.

Thank you,
Bryon

=====
John McKinney
Los Banos, CA
1998 Dakota 4x4 5in lift/locked 33" Swampers
1974 Ramcharger 4in lift/locked 33" BFG MT's