Re: Fuel Pump? any one had to replace one of these?

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Dec 12 1999 - 17:03:29 EST

> My fuel pump went out in my Ram Last night.
> I am having a hard time finding one. And the ones I can find are between
> 300-400 $$$$$ Any suggestions???

Wes,
I had 1 pump replaced under warranty, and the last 2 pumps I put in myself.
The Carter Pumps are crap if you ask me, and that is being nice. A fuel pump
should really last a long damn time, and I am on my 4th at 115,000 miles. I
found the entire fuel pump moduel/assembly which includes the pump, screen,
sending unit, the whole thing. I called around an Napa was actually the
cheapest at a mere $145. I have not been able to find any other replacement
pump module other than the one made by Carter, so all 4 have been Carter
pumps. The job is not hard at all, just make sure when you drop the tank to
have it steamed and cleaned out, most radaitor shops do this for only
$25-$40. Also be sure the change the fuel filter, if your application has an
external one, as mine does. Most newer ones have the filter built into the
pump module. I think this last one I put in is a really good one cause I can
really hear it buzzin' away standing 2-3 feet from my truck. Good Luck, let
me know if you need any info about the replacement, it should be similar.
Also, are you positive it is your fuel pump that is shot(no fuel pump humm
or buzz)?
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6