Re: Group Discount Ram Air Boxes....

From: Ryan Krokosinski (ryan@equinoxfinancial.com)
Date: Mon Dec 13 1999 - 20:06:25 EST

It's a tight fit, that's for sure. But it is do-able. You need a drop base 14"
air cleaner to get as much hood clearance as possible. I used the Edelbrock
1221 and 8093 spacer. I then filed the spacer down, in the front only (so it
almost sits horizontally, rather than the angle the TB is mounted at) and got
the box within 1/8in. of the alternator bracket. The angle, not the height, of
the setup was my biggest problem. Through filing the spacer, I am now able to
close the hood without it leaving a scar on the hoodliner. The back of the
airbox also has to be chopped off and re-glassed in to fit because of the
limited firewall clearance. If you have A/C you will have to do the same in
the front to clear the bracket. As for the rad hose, I've heard you can use
the one from the Grand Cherokees, but I got a new one from Cool-Flex. It's a
really sweet piece and you can bend it wherever you want it to go. A little
pricey, but it looks way cool!! (the Cool-Flex, that is). The install of the
Ram Air Box is a little bit of a pain in the ass, depending on how picky you
are. I got extremely anal about it because I wanted it to look fairly factory,
so my install was a major pain. It's well worth the trouble though for anyone
who's looking into it. If anybody wants some more details about the install
etc., just ask.

Ryan K
'99 R/T RC