Project Front Tow Hooks

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Dec 13 1999 - 20:16:00 EST

Just to let everyone know, I am going to fab up some brackets and mount up
some tow hooks in the front of my Dak. Previously, I just had those 'Jeep'
style hooks bolted onto the outside of each frame rail. On one side after
using them, the front frame horn became tweaked because the frame's metal
was thin. Today I took the 'Jeep' style hooks off, heated up the frame and
bent it back in place. I plan on using 1/4" steel plate for the brackets,
hopfully a one piece design. I am hoping to find something which is prebent,
like 4"x4"(not sure yet on the exact specs or the length I will need) angle
iron(with a 90 dgree bend in it). This 90 degree piece will sit over the
outside frame rail, covering the bottom of the frame and the outside of the
frame. This is why I am hoping to find a 90 degree angled piece in the size
I need. I will drill holes and bolt it onto the frame both on the sides and
on the bottom. I will go the the local steel warehouse this week and see
what they have. For the tow hooks, I have bought 2 tow hooks from a 1994
Chevy 1500 4x4($15) and 2 hooks from a 1985 Chevy Blazer 4x4($20), still
unsure on which ones I will use. I do plan on coating each hook with liquid
electrical tape; dont laugh, this stuff works great for rustproofing and is
cheap. I did it on my rear tow ring mount in my hitch. Overall, I really
think it will work and the total cost should be around $35; $15-$20 for the
tow hooks, $5 for mounting harndware. I doubt the small sections of angle
iron I will need will cost over $10 for the 2 pieces. Cost may rise if I
have to buy a drill bit; I have some 1/2" bits, but they may not last
through 1/4" steel. Gotta go study for finals now......I will keep everyone
informed!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6