4.7L Oil filler tube problem

From: Barret, Matt (MATT_BARRET@earthtech.com)
Date: Wed Dec 15 1999 - 06:45:36 EST

OK, I went by Home Depot last night and picked up a piece of Armstrong self
seal pipe insulation. It is 1/2" thick foam insulation (black) that is very
similar to the stuff they use in coolie cups you put your beer in!! This
stuff looks like a tube but it has a slit down one side so you can slide it
over a pipe.
Its for a 1" copper pipe, and has adhesive on each side of the slit. I took
2 Short piece and put half on the front of the filler tube and half on the
rear of it, then stuck them to each other with the adhesive strips. I had to
notch the front piece out to fit around the pcv valve. It fit snug and
covered the tube on the front side almost to the bottom of the tube. It
looks like it came that way almost.

I also noticed yesterday that grey stuff only appears now on the forward
side 1/3 of the tube, and when I put my hand on the front side of that tube
it felt cool, and the rest of the tube was warm. So, the shield that someone
(I think Rob) was designing may also work to keep cool air off of it.
I won't know the results of my design until later today or tomorrow. I will
post what I find.

Matt -- Mechanicsville, VA
`00 Sport Plus 4.7L 5spd. 9 1/4 3.92 LSD RC 2x4
Homemade K&N open element, Traction Bars,
Spring clamps, ... BEST 1/4 14.871 @ 91.01 MPH
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ