Re: V8 Timing Chain Replacement Question

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 14:40:46 EST

> When I had the cam and valvetrain components changed, I supplied the
fellow
> doing the installation with the parts. He asked me a few times if I was
> replacing the timing chain but did not push it one way or another. I
found
> out later that it's a good idea to do it while everything is off (also
> the chain does stretch and wear over time)...kind of wish I had done it
> at the time and used a hi-po (double?) one. That's all I know about it.
> BTW, at the time, I had about 1/2 the mileage that you have.

Bob, and others,
I have been told by many many Chrysler mechanics and ASE Master techs that
the double roller timing chain will actually decrease power becuase it takes
more energy to actually roll it. So by no means should it be considered a
'hi-po'
 item. It will however quiet dow the noise and last longer than a
conventional timing chain.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6