Re: Re: RAM AIR BOX by AIS

From: Ryan Krokosinski (ryan@equinoxfinancial.com)
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 09:42:10 EST

AIS sent me a patch kit with mine. If they send it with the box... don't
use it. It's really cheap-ass. It appears to be hi-po saran wrap stuff that
you basically cover the hole with but I'm not sure cause it went straight
into the trash. If you go to any big hardware store (Home Depot) they have
fiberglass repair kits you can buy for boats and such. They have everything
you need to make it look clean and finished. Once you paint it, you can't
tell anything was done. Just take your time when you're doing it and it
will be easier than you thought. Also, if you want it to fit more easily,
you can actually make two cutouts in the box. One straight across the back
and one at about a 45 degree angle from the middle of the back to the right
hand (drivers) side. I did this so I didn't have to relocate the bracket
that sticks out from the firewall (on two long studs) with all the
(vacuum?) hoses on it. All you have to do is remove the rubber cushion
thing from the bracket, add a few washers so it snugs up to the firewall
without bending, and it fits nicely. No muss, no fuss (well... maybe a
little, but it looks nicer than a relocated or bent bracket). I'm sure
you're saying to yourself... "what the hell is he talking about?". Once you
get in there you'll see what I mean. I'll take some pictures of my box and
how I cut it etc. You don't have to do it this way, I just found it was
much easier and figured it looked better. I'll try to post the pics next
week.

Ryan K
'99 R/T RC