How to check for exhaust leaks

From: Neal Arita (neal@heide-cook.com)
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 20:26:13 EST

michael crotty wrote:.

>Hi,

>Are any of you shadetree's experienced in finding exhaust leaks? How do
>you do it?

>I think I may have a tiny one, I can kinda hear it on the right side. I
>was thinking of holding burning incense near it but the moving parts
make
>it kinda windy in there. Is there a better way?
>TIA
>mike

Mike,
this is what I carefully do...if you suspect a small leak, using
a vaccum hose (or a small tube), put one end near your ear, the other
around suspected leak. You will hear noises from specific areas.
This works for vaccum leaks also...BUT BE VERY CAREFUL
don't plug it into your ear, leave a little space, as the pulsing
could cause damage to your ear.
Another way, depending on the location, is to have someone
slowly plug the exhaust pipe at the tailpipe, and listen for the
leak. With the additional back-pressure, if there's a leak, you'll hear
it.
Hope this helps.

Neal Arita - from Hawaii
'97 CC, 5.2L, Auto