3rd Brake Light Idea

From: Scott Miller (kmiller@cvn.net)
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 18:03:04 EST

Hey all, thought I'd share my experience here.

A couple months ago I was in town at night and I pulled up behind a Pontiac
Sunfire or something, and when the person hit the brakes there was the word
"PONTIAC" in the center of the trunk that lit up. Looked pretty neat and
gave me an idea that will work on trucks with the 3rd brake light, although
it will be more noticable on the 2nd gen. dak's that have the light on the
tail gate.

here's what I did.

Went to the local sign shop and had them cut a vinyl decal that said DODGE.
I got it in that cool "dodge" font like on the DDBC. You just have to
measure to get the maximum fit. I gave them the measurements and they cut
me a decal

Next I got a can of Semi-gloss spray paint and preceeded to take the 3rd
brake light out of the tail gate.

I didn't do this, but If I were to do it again I would recommend it

Next take a scuff pad and lightly scuff the tail light to clean it up, but
not hard so you don't scratch it, just to give the paint a good clean
surface.

Next center the sticker on the brake light and apply, and press it on
firmly. You don't want any paint to get underneath it.

Finish it up by painting the brake light the color you choose (I have a
black truck so hence the color). Let it dry until it is tacky and then take
an exacto knife and pull the sticker off. Be careful not to pull big chunks
of paint off.

Let dry and put back on the truck, now you have a cool brake light. I've
had many compliments on it.

P.S. I've had mine through the car wash many times and it is still holding
up fine.

Let me know what you guys think. I try and post a pic so you can see how
cool it is sometime soon.

Later

Scott Miller
Shelby Dakota #322 (14.89 @ 89mph)