SHOCK SPECS

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Dec 23 1999 - 00:53:56 EST

In my quest for shocks, I of course am researching and comparing everything
out there which I would like to put on my Dakota. I am only considering
shocks with urethane bushings also and Rancho's I wont even consider. Any
suggestions/comments are appreciated. I know this may be long, but I have
found it interesting to compar brands/stats. Please read on if you care to,
and give me any suggestions at all. I am looking to get the best bang for my
buck on my next set of shocks. I have found this so far:

*TrailMaster SSV: Urethane Bushings, Bust Boots Included, 2 3/8" Diameter
Cylinders, Nitrogen Gas, 14MM Carbon Steel Piston Rod, Speed Smart Valve
adjusts to surfaces automatically
*TrailMaster Invader SS: 35MM Piston Head, 2 3/8" Diameter Cylinders
Urethane Bushings, "Multi-Viscosity Hydraulic Fluid", 14MM Piston Rod, Boots
not Included, Twin Tube Construction, Multistage Valving
*TrailMaster Invader N7: 200PSI Nitrogen Gas, Twin Tube Design, Urethane
Bushings, Dust Boot not Included, 10 Stage Valving
*Warn AT/All Terrain: Closed Cell Foam, Urethane Bushings, Includes Dust
Boots, 1 3/8" Diameter Piston, 5/8" Chrome Piston Rod, 10 Stage Valving
*Dick Cepek Race Series: Nitrogen Gas Charged, 5/8" Chrome Piston Rod, 2
3/8" Expanded Reserve Tube, 1 3/8" Diameter Bore, Boots not included
*SuperLift Superide: Urethane Bushings, 10 Stage Valving, Multi-Viscosity
Fluid, Dust Boot Included, No other tech. info available
*ProComp ES3000: 10 Stage Valving, 1 3/8" Diameter Piston, 5/8" Chrome
Piston Rod, Twin Tube Cellular Gas, Not sure about the type of bushings
offered, Dust Boots Are Not Included
*ProComp ES9000: 10 Stage Valving, 1 3/8" Diameter Piston, 5/8" Chrome
Piston Rod, Twin Tube Nitrogen Gas, Expanded Fluid Reservoir, Not sure about
the type of bushings offered, Dust Boots Are Not Included
*Bilstein: High Pressure(360PSI) Nitrogen Gas, This Is All I Can Find on
Them! No Specs to Use to Compare With the Other Brands Unfortunately. Any
provide me with better stats with them to better compare?

Extended Length for the Fronts with all TM's for my app. are: 14.45"
Extended Length for the Rears with all TM's for my app. are: 25.20"
Collapsed Length for the Fronts with all TM's for my app. are: 9.34"
Collapsed Length for the Rears with all TM's for my app. are: 15.17"
Total Front TrailMaster Shock Travel: 5.11"
Total Rear TrailMaster Shock Travel: 10.03"

Extended Length for the Fronts with the Warn's for my app. are: 14.44"
Extended Length for the Rears with the Warn's for my app. are: 24.62"
Collapsed Length for the Fronts with the Warn's for my app. are: 9.24"
Collapsed Length for the Rears with the Warn's for my app. are: 14.81"
Total Front Warn Shock Travel: 5.2"
Total Rear Warn Shock Travel: 9.81"

Extended Length for the Fronts with the DC's for my app. are: 14.44"
Extended Length for the Rears with the DC's for my app. are: 24.62"
Collapsed Length for the Fronts with the DC's for my app. are: 9.24"
Collapsed Length for the Rears with the DC's for my app. are: 14.81"
****Warn and Dick Cepek shocks are obviously the same here(I double checked
even to make sure)!!!!
Total Front Dick Cepek Shock Travel: 5.2"
Total Rear Dick Cepek Shock Travel: 9.81"

Extended Length for the Fronts with the S.L.'s for my app. are: 13.33"
Extended Length for the Rears with the S.L.'s for my app. are: 25.07"
Collapsed Length for the Fronts with the S.L.'s for my app. are: 8.75"
Collapsed Length for the Rears with the S.L.'s for my app. are: 15.07"
Total Front SuperLift Shock Travel: 4.58"
Total Rear SuperLift Shock Travel: 10"

Extended Length for the Fronts with the PC3000's for my app. are: 14.71"
Extended Length for the Rears with the PC3000's for my app. are: 24.51"
Collapsed Length for the Fronts with the PC3000's for my app. are: 9.56"
Collapsed Length for the Rears with the PC3000's for my app. are: 14.82"
****Shock Specs for the ProComp9000 Series are exactly the same!!!
Total Front ProComp Shock Travel: 5.15"
Total Rear ProComp Shock Travel: 9.69"

First off, should I stick with using the same shocks at all 4 corners? Or
can I mix match, or is this a big NO-NO??? What is the BEST type of fluid to
get in a shock(nitrogen gas,cellular gas,etc)?? As far as travel is
concerned(and I am very sure my Dak's stock suspension greatly limits these
numbers), it looks to me that the TrailMaster SSV's are pretty
impressive(overall also). Anyone still awake???? Hope someone out there
thought this was as good of info as I found it to be. Thoughts? Questions?
Concerns? Suggestions?
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6.....with shot Rancho RS5000s.....