RE: Group Discount Ram Air Boxes....

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Dec 25 1999 - 08:56:43 EST

At 02:12 AM 12/25/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Will the 14" fit on the '97 Dakota?

Yes. Currently, I'm using the K&N 1503 kit which has their 14" x 2.25"
filter element. The 1503 was originally for Rams up to '95 or '96.
I had previously put on the underhood pad and there is just enough
clearance with the pad (the cover for the air cleaner only leaves a
slight impression in the pad under WOT acceleration conditions).

I've just noticed in the Summit catalog that K&N now has a kit for 97+ Dakotas
... kit 1509. Anyone know what is different between the two? My guess is
that the 1509 might have their 14" x 2.75" filter element in it instead of
the 2.25".

>Oh, what's "SG" and "FR"

SG is for sure grip and FR is for flame red.

BTW, I just picked up the ram air box from Air Inlet Systems and, with
modifications, it will also fit the '97+ Dakotas. It calls for a 14" x 3"
but their catalog lists the K&N 2.75" as suitable. There are a few on the
list that have already installed this box and I'll probably be relying on
them and the archives for tips on the mods. As a matter of fact, one of
them just told me that he's using the 2.75" (E-1650) because, surprising,
K&N does not put out a 3" one.

Hope this helps.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.