Re: AC on while my heat is on?

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Sat Dec 25 1999 - 14:39:17 EST

At 12:54 PM 12/25/99 , you wrote:
>My friend the Durango owner just told me that the AC turns on when you
>turn the heat on (in any position except straight at you dash vents). I
>didnt think that mattered much but supposedly its a few MPG. Anyone know
>if there is any truth to this or a fix for it? or if it even applies to
>my 99 dakota?

On my 97 there are 4 heat positions, one for the dash vents, one for the
floor vents, one for the floor vents plus defrost, and one for defrost
only. The AC will come on when you have it on the two positions that use
defrost. It's designed that way so that the AC will blow dry air onto the
windshield to remove the fog. Every vehicle with AC I've ever seen does
this. You don't get as good mileage with the AC running but I don't know of
any fix short of rewiring your heater controls. If you don't need your
defroster, just run the heater in the other positions.

Mike Crumley 97 V6 Auto
mail to: mcrumley@airmail.net

"I'd like to wish a Merry Christmas to
all my friends except two."-W.C. Fields