Merry Christmas!/MP valve covers/traction

From: Doug Myers (dougmyers@radix.net)
Date: Sat Dec 25 1999 - 22:32:19 EST

Hey everyone,

    First off, I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! I've been in lurk mode
for quite awhile now, but I'll be participating again for a little while now
that I'm tinkering with the 'Dak again :-)

    Anyways, I got a set of the MP valve covers for Christmas that I
installed today. When I installed them, I used some of the original bolts,
so that I could use my factory wire-looms, etc. The old bolts didn't stick
out as far with the new covers as with the old covers, but they stuck out at
least 3/8" or so. I only needed 4 or 5 on each side, and the rest were the
new longer bolts. I took it for a drive tonite and they aren't leaking, and
the engine seems quieter... maybe thats just me... should I be worried about
the old bolts not being long enough

    Now I also have a traction problem. I've got the tire and handling
package with 15x8 wheels and 255/65-15 tires, and unless I totally baby my
truck off the line, my tires will break loose fairly easy, even on dry
pavement. Stomping it in first or second, and sometimes third, will do the
same thing. And I know that this will get worse as soon as I get my
Hypertech PTM. What can I do? I'd like some raised white letter tires, so
maybe I can get some stickier tires.... any suggestions?

Doug Myers
'99 Dakota RC/SB 318/5-speed/3.92 SG
K&N Gen II FIPK
Gibson Split-Rear Catback