RE: RE: Ticking

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Sun Dec 26 1999 - 12:49:27 EST

> > Either valve tap or the injectors firing. Most likely the
> injectors.
> > Nothing wrong with the injectors, they just are noisy...Here's a
> question...
> > Is the sound a constant pitch or does it vary, also does
> it vary with
> engine
> > speed?
> >
> > Greg
> > 95 DSCC v6 5spd
> > Rahway NJ
>
> I'm telling ya I had the same sound, I knew it was a
> valve sticking,,Long
> and short it was a header leak. The speed shop told me get
> them HOT, put on
> suitable gloves and tighten them hot.. Tick is gone and
> has'nt come back...

Very true, but also the injectors used on our trucks are loud too! An
injector tap is higher pitched than a valve tap. I didn't know our valves
were adjustable, thought they were hydraulic and didn't need adjustment.. On
my truck I thought too I had either run low on oil(hence tapping lifters) or
worse. Started poking around with a stethoscope and found that:
1. Timing chain was going south(repaired)
2. The injectors are noisy li'l buggers.

Just my 2 cents....

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd
Rahway NJ