Re: Mopar Magnum Cam............

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Dec 27 1999 - 08:50:31 EST

At 12:43 PM 12/26/99 EST, you wrote:
>The Mopar magnum cam is a 204/208 duration cam. Would I lose low end?

I found that the cam moved the bottom end of the power band up about 300 rpm.
I haven't found a dyno shop around my area (as yet) so no actual figures.
I found that the cam really brought the engine alive at about 2800-3000 rpm.

>If so, a lot? My mods are as follows..Mopar headers, Flowmaster cat-back,
>R+D TB, 14" K+N...I plan on also changing the valve springs and putting in
>roller rockers if I do the mod.

Not a lot. I put on F&B Stage 1 tb shortly after the cam and I got back more
of the bottom end torque than I had before. I would imagine that the R+D tb
would do the same. The ported tb really complements the cam installation.
Also,
I found that the beefed-up valve train components got the revs up a lot
quicker
into the power band than before.

I was running 15.45x before the cam and valve train installations.
Afterwards,
the improvement was by one-hundreds of a sec. (a bit disappointing but still
running personal bests) but this was during the summer when temp. was
around 96F
and humidex was 105-110%. Others at the track were running about 2/10s slower
than their norm under these conditions.

The ported tb moved my ET to very low 15.2s (probably 15.1s without the stiff
headwinds) but weather was now mid-80s and humidex was down a lot.

Changing the effective gear ratio to 3.80 from 3.50 brought my ETs to
14.9s with a best that was two one-hundredths off a 14.89 with a stiff
crosswind. Truck, driver and 1/2 tank weighed in at 4,350 lb.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.