RE: Shocks

From: Sam Parthemer (rtdkota@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 12:47:19 EST

Big difference (and the stock ones had only about 750
miles on them). The truck rides noticably firmer on
the street (a little too stiff sometimes), and most
all small bumps can be felt (though not like my RT
which I can tell you if I drove over a nickel or a
dime!). I wasn't too happy with it until I drove off
road for first time with the new shocks. Small bumps
are annoying (you feel them, but don't see 'em), and
then I hit my first serious 'hit' on the trail... and
Voila! Smooth sailing. After a few more runs, the
shocks really soaked up the big & medium bumps nicely.
 I had a similar experience in the dunes recently, and
all but serious washboard roads were fine. Afterwards
on the street, the truck did tend to ride a little
smoother, so I figured the auto adjust mumbo/jumbo
must've needed a workout to make them function 100%.
Well worth the $000.00 I spent on the shocks (my wife
won them at the Glendora Dodge truck show).

I would say the factory ones are junk to say the
least.
My RT recently had the Hotchkis suspension put on, and
then replaced the RT's shocks, and found that one of
the front's (less than 4k on them) was leaking/wasted.
 I still have my wife's OEM shocks sitting in the
garage, and compared them to the RT's OEM shocks:
Rears are about 3-4" taller, and have the same
stiffness/rebound. Didn't check the fronts as I was
disgusted at what I had found with the rears. They
say that OEM shocks are typically not good for more
than 12k miles, and I believe it.

Sam '00 RT & '99 4x4