Bad Vehicles? Was: Re: Fastest family hauler?

From: Chad Clifton (mcc@negia.net)
Date: Fri Dec 31 1999 - 00:16:22 EST

All Dodge trucks that I've been a part of, including several 80's and
early 90's models, have been great machines. I don't know about service
because we've never had to take one back. (Really. No kidding) Most of
these were diesels though, which does make a difference on the engine
side. The only problem that came up was the rear end seal burning up
several times on a '93 3500 Cummins because grass was getting wrapped
around the drive shaft and burning it out. Seems like it should have had
some sort of guard. It may have. Maybe it was left off, maybe we stuck
it on something and tore it off.

My Dad had an '87 Dodge Dakota V6. It had 175,000 miles on it when he
traded it on his '97 Ram. He changed the oil about every twelve thousand
miles and made no effort to take care of the engine. All he replaced was
the waterpump, computer. He had a problem with a valve also. I can't
remember the details on that. It was still running strong when it took
it in for trade. Infact, the salesman he bought the RAM from, bought his
Dakota after the trade-in.

I like the looks of the pre97 Dodge Trucks and I think alot of other
people do too.

No flame intended dude. Most people like whatever truck they have as
long as it runs whether it be Dodge, GM, or Ford. They support what has
done them justice in the past. It's amazing how great a vehicle can
look after you've found out it runs good and is dependable and
comfortable.

Chad Clifton
mcc@negia.net