Yes Virginia, there really is a speed limiter.

From: Chris and Sara (rile1@prodigy.net)
Date: Fri Dec 31 1999 - 00:12:55 EST

I have experienced this also and believe it or not, it is a speed limiter.
I have talked to a couple of tech guys, and they looked it up, and
supposedly, it is supposed to be on all the trucks, auto and manny tranny.
The listed range was 95-120 MPH. It was a "feature" way back in '97 and is
closer to 112 in my truck.
'97 Driftwood SLT 5.2L 4x4, LOADED heavily.
http://drive.to/DakotaMadness