Re: Re: I need help! rounded off bolt

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Jan 01 2000 - 16:57:19 EST

At 03:18 PM 1/1/00 -0500, you wrote:
> I've stripped a couple of wheel studs too. Maybe I'll look into
>those McGard lug nuts. I figured it was crappy studs, I didn't
>think of the nuts.

Actually, I think that it was the McGard lug nuts that really prevented the
stripping. Over time, if you remove the OEs enough times, the caps on
those OE lug nuts will snap off.

>Regarding anti-sieze on lug nuts: I've heard that you shouldn't do that
>because it lubricates the stud and nut and will throw off your torque values.
>(i.e. the torque wrench says 100lb-ft, but maybe you're "really" torquing
>them down to 120...) ???

Actually my pit 'mechanic' (Dave) recommended that I use the anti-seize
after he had a terrible time getting them off once. I was a bit leery myself.
When I started going to the track myself, being the he-man that I am, I
torqued
at about 85lb-ft. Kept a close eye on them between runs (of course, if
anything
happened during the run, that would not have helped) but they have stayed
tight
at 85lb-ft.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.