RE: RE: SureGrip?

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Sat Jan 01 2000 - 23:59:40 EST

OK guys, what's up with all these performance stunts to indicate an open
diff or a limited-slip diff??

My truck always leaves twin black marks (I usu. let off the gas after 40-50
feet so I don't burn up my tires), and the rear end slides out if I goose it
in the corners (yep, even on warm asphalt with sticky perf. tires). Back
one wheel into a slippery mud puddle, however, and it will just spin and go
nowhere. I jacked the back of my truck up, spun one wheel and the other
wheel spun the opposite direction, indicating an open diff.

I agree with what one DML'er said here a while back - open diffs. come from
the factory with varying degrees of 'tightness', thus a very tight open
diff. will tend to act like a limited-slip under good traction conditions
(thus laying twin marks), but still acts as an open diff. when you get into
the slippery stuff.

FWIW, for you guys with open diffs., I've heard that if you're stuck in mud,
snow, etc., very lightly apply the brake, then lightly apply the gas, the
braking may be enough to get to wheel with traction to start pulling...