Re: Re: Oil Capacity

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Jan 02 2000 - 10:08:08 EST

At 09:06 AM 1/2/00 EST, you wrote:
>I have the same year and engine with the same "problem". The dipstick reads
>high after running the engine (meaning the oil filter is full). I was
putting
>in only 4.5 quarts for the first 5 oil changes. On my last oil change I did
>put in the 5 full quarts, dosen't seem to have adverse affects. I am
>wondering also if I have the wrong dipstick, when I get some time I'll go
the
>the dealer and match my dipstick number with what the parts catalog says.
>JoeB.

I've found the same on the '97. Now, I put in 4, run it for a few minutes,
turn engine off, let the oil settle down to the pan and then top up to the
line.

Overfilling 'can' result in coating the bottom end of the engine (crankshaft)
with oil, trapping air bubbles in the oil or getting oil up into the
combustion
chambers (neither is good thing in the long run). There is some leeway
given as
to how much over the full line you can go (one quart above the line may be
at or beyond the limit?). It also depends on how hard you drive (e.g. hard
acceleration and jack-rabbit starts).

I brought the oil back to the line (used an item to suck the oil out from the
dipstick tube) because I was running at the track on the weekends.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.