Re: I'm baaaaaack! (long)

From: Dave Scelfo (macncheesemonster@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 02 2000 - 09:26:45 EST

>your poor mileage was caused because when you add taller tires you are
>lowering your gear ratio and your trucks motor is running out of its power
>band. When i had my GMC i was running 35s with 3.08 gears. i lost power
>gas
>mileage and aerodynamics. personally the small change in erodynamics hasnt
>hurt you as bad as the tire size has. When i went to 4.10 gears i got my
>power back, my gas mileage back my wife back my dog back Just kidding about
>the wife .lol. i have a chart that tells you what gears you should be
>runing
>now. If its a 5 % ibcrease in tire size i wouldnt mess with it lets say
>you
>went from 235 75 15 to a 31 x 10.5 well you went from a 28 inch tire to a
>30
>inch tal tire. Im not talking written size but actual measured height, so
>5
>% of 28 inches is 1.4 inches. so youre a little over but i wouldnt
>change
>gears. now if you went from a 28 inch tire to a 35 inch tire like i did
>well
>my truck ouldnt get over 75 mph. after the gear change it went 125 mph top
>speed. but let me know if you want a copy of the chart ill scan it and e
>amil
>it to you
>Rob

Well the problem isnt that you're out of the power band, I think its that
your speedometer is now off. Once upon a time I had a friend who's gas
guage was broken on his truck. He know he got about 200 miles per tank so
when he got to 180ish, he knew it was time to fill up. Needless to say,
going from 27 inchers to 33 inchers changes your speedo a good deal. So I
guess you can see where I'm going with this. He ran out of gas.

--
Dave