Re: Maintenance Required light in 91 Dakota

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 02 2000 - 21:29:28 EST

On Sun, 2 Jan 2000, Mike Crumley wrote:
[...]
> Actually the light is for federally mandated service intervals for emission
> equipment. There is no way to reset it without hooking it up to a computer.
> If you don't care about the environment or about how your actions affect
> others, go behind the dash and pull the light. Otherwise, bite the bullet
> and have the work done.

    I dunno; I think that's a bit harsh. I mean, as far as the environment
and all that stuff goes, there's nothing a dealer can do that a private
garage or an individual can't. I don't see why you should be forced to
go to the dealer for service when any service station or mechanic would
do. From reading his message, I didn't get the impression that he was
trying to keep some smoke spewing toxic waste dump on the road; he had
the service done privately and just wanted to turn off the annoying light.
My recommendation would be to just pull out the bulb if your mechanic
cannot reset it. Its only duplicating the maintenance schedule that's
already printed in the owner's manual anyway...

                                              -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota V8, '96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |