Re: Maintenance Required light in 91 Dakota

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2000 - 12:44:00 EST

At 08:29 PM 1/2/00 , you wrote:
> I dunno; I think that's a bit harsh. I mean, as far as the environment
>and all that stuff goes, there's nothing a dealer can do that a private
>garage or an individual can't. I don't see why you should be forced to
>go to the dealer for service when any service station or mechanic would
>do. From reading his message, I didn't get the impression that he was
>trying to keep some smoke spewing toxic waste dump on the road; he had
>the service done privately and just wanted to turn off the annoying light.
>My recommendation would be to just pull out the bulb if your mechanic
>cannot reset it. Its only duplicating the maintenance schedule that's
>already printed in the owner's manual anyway...

I no longer have the original post so maybe I'm just experiencing another
case of Y2K brain failure, but I sure thought he was asking how to reset
the light *without* having the work done. If I'm wrong then never mind, I
guess. I totally agree that making us take our vehicles to the dealer to
have the work done (light reset) isn't right. However, you don't have to be
spewing black smoke out the tailpipe to be polluting more than you should.
What you *don't* see can be as bad or worse than what you do see. It may be
duplicating the schedule that's in the manual, but how many people follow
that schedule? Judging by how bad the pollution problem is getting here in
Texas and how much resistance there is to even the most basic solutions, I
don't think that performing routine maintenance of emission equipment is
something that most people would do voluntarily.

Mike Crumley 97 V6 Auto
mail to: mcrumley@airmail.net

"You could wake up dead tomorrow."
--Homer Simpson