Re: pulley advertising and deceiving

From: SS454454@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 02:49:37 EST

not sure if you guys know these things but here it is
 i took advertising courses. lets talk about the advertised Hp gains from a
product. any product out there the claims are legal as long as you gained
the hp somewhere. so lets say my company ( ZZ pulley) took a 1984 yugo and
put pulleys on it and i gained 30 hp all i need to do is say " buy ZZ
Pulley and gain UP TO 30 HP" very misleading but all legal. it doesnt matter
that on your type of vehicle my company was only able to get 5 hp ill never
tell you that. since most people just see " 30 HP GAIN" they assume they get
the pulleys and they instantly gained 30 horses. We had this one guy who by
the time he added the claimed HP of all the bolt ons he did to his camaro he
had a 440 hp 350. he probably realistically gained 20 hp or so. but the
advertising world is very misleading. notice how they only say GAIN UP TO
XYZ # OF HORSEPOWER? Im not saying that everyone believes the HP gains
advertised but obviously enough of the people out there do believe it since
the aftermarket performance is a multi billion industry. im not trying to
bring down the aftermarket in fact i love aftermarket parts, i just hate
when guys say i bolted on these pulleys or headers or exhaust and i gained
70 hp. i just shake my head and walk away, no point in trying to correct them
Rob