Re: Long trip in the Dakota-Canada questions

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 17:59:10 EST

You don't need a passport, but if you have one, take it (more ID never
hurt anyone).

As for the gun, consider leaving it at home. I'm not familiar with the
laws/restrictions on crossing the border, or what Canada's laws are, but
not taking it will guarantee you don't have any problems. If you do
take the gun, make sure you check well in advance about any permits you
may need to carry, and don't hide the fact that you have it when you
cross (just tell them I have a gun, it's in this locked box, here's my
permits) - it'll save you a lot of headaches if they decide to take a
closer look at you & your truck (if you don't tell them and they find
it, they'll be less happy). And don't forget to check what Alaska's
laws are on carrying it.