Re: Long trip in the Dak--road hints

From: Jason Yates (j_hurricane_y@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 18:53:44 EST

--- J McKinney <bigmopar4x4@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'll be making the long trip from Central California all
> the way up through Canada to a friends place in Anchorage
> Alaska, about 3000 mi each way. I'll probably be doing
> this in May or June. <snip>
>
> Anybody else done this same trip? Any hints?

I think others have sufficiently answered the gun &
passport question--don't need either--but I can offer some
advice on the drive. My family made the drive from Oregon
when I was about 12 (12 years ago) and it is a LONG drive.
For the mileage we covered, we could have driven from
Oregon to New York, to Florida, back to Oregon and still
had mileage left over to drive into Canada. Anyway, expect
less than ideal road conditions--especially in up the Yukon
territory as they get fun things like 'frost heaves' there
(the road will slide on the permafrost and create large
speedbump-like structures that are hard to see). A lot of
the Alaskan Highway was under construction at the time of
our drive and from what I've heard, its kind of perpetually
that way. Look at taking the Cassiar (sp?) highway to
bypass some of the Alaskan, but do watch out for large ore
trucks. This road was unpaved at the time we were on it
(but you could still go , but I believe I heard it is paved
now. Try to plan on seeing Dawson City as it still has the
whole 'gold rush/wild west' flavor. You'll pretty much be
bored in the rest of the Yukon territory, though, as all I
remember of it was miles and miles of these pathetic little
trees trying to survive growing in the permafrost. Anyway,
good luck and take some pictures so we can enjoy your tale
of your "Dak and the Alaskan Attack." (Thought I'd give
you a title for your trip.) ;)

=====
JY
Vegas '98 Jade Metallic 4x4 CC 5.2L 5spd 3.55 LSD
Po'boy Intake, F&B TB, Gibson single 3" cat-bak, spray-in liner, & too much sound gear to bore you with . . . L8R