Re: What do you think of wheel spacers?

From: Bob King (k85go76@erols.com)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 22:57:38 EST

I use 1/2" spacers on my "widened" stock chrome steel wheels (with chrome
plastic center cap). These wheels were '95 vintage (I'm sure you know the
wheel style I'm talking about..found on 94-96 SLTs). Stock width on these
wheels was 6". I had the rears widened at a shop specializing in such
surgery ($150 for the pair). Slapped them on and put BFG TAs (255 -
60 -15s) on the rear. After running around for a week, I found that the
driver's side rear occasionally rubbed the bed rail (probably when I went
over bad bumps or anything causing alot of rear suspension travel). By the
way, the rear end is offset a little (don't know how much..maybe 3/4 inch to
the passenger side) leaving a little less clearance on the driver's side
rear (this may or may not be the case with newer Daks).
Anyway, to remedy the problem I put on 1/2" spacers and of necessity had to
change to longer wheel studs. I got some nice long MOROSO studs (don't ask
me how long) and they work great. So don't abandon the idea just because
you may need longer studs.

Bob King
Pennsville, NJ