Re: Re[2]: Long trip in the Dakota-Canada questions

From: J McKinney (bigmopar4x4@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 15:40:22 EST

Hey Tom, thanks for the info and going through the trouble
of emailing your friend for me. I was looking to avoid
UPS-ing them to Alaska because they only do the 2nd day air
thing and that'll cost me like $40/ea. each way, but might
be the only way. I'll also bring the birth certificate
since it sounds like what everybody is suggesting. This is
going to be more work than I thought, I may even run into
problems bringing my dog across the border. Glad I'm
starting to plan now.

Should be a great trip and like I told my friend; we'll
probably burn more film than gas!!

--- fawcett@uism.bu.edu wrote:
> Hey John!
>
> First of all I'm jealous as it sounds like a great trip!
>
> Secondly, I wrote to a Canadian buddy of mine (actually
> he's a dually -Can&US
> citizen) that's also a hunter so I figured he might know
> a thing or two. This
> is what he had to say:
>
> "Tom,
> I would suggest telling your friend not to carry any
> handguns. Even
> with a permit to carry they will not let you take it
> into Canada. He
> would have to turn it over to Customs. Usually going
> into Canada they
> will not ask to see any kind of passport,license
> etc. but coming back
> into the US they more than likely will ask for at
> least a driver's
> license and probably nothing. It's interesting that
> you ask. This past
> week while I was returning to the US I was held up
> at customs for
> almost 45 mins only because when they tried to
> verify my license in
> the computer they couldn't get a confirmation that
> it was good. While
> waiting they completely went through everything in
> the truck. Of
> course they never found anything.
> Your buddy should call Canada customs before he
> leaves and they will
> answer any questions he might have. He can call
> (613) 995-2388. I am
> not sure if there is a Boston office or not.
>
> Jr.
>
> Great, thanks! What about rifles and shotguns?
>
> Only in hunting season.Any other time they are not
> allowed."

> So it looks likes it's gonna be risky or impossible to
> take 'em with you in the
> truck... Have you considered sending them UPS or
> something to your friends
> place in AK? That's what I would probably do to avoid
> any hassles.
> Good luck and enjoy!
> Tom
>
> P.S. I'd also get a notarized copy of my birth
> certificate to go along with my
> drivers license or play it ultra safe and get a passport.

=====
John McKinney
Los Banos, CA
1998 Dakota 4x4 5in lift/locked 33" Swampers
1974 Ramcharger 4in lift/locked 33" BFG MT's