Re: hot/cold, was: autolite plugs

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 18:56:07 EST

At 05:33 PM 1/5/00 EST, you wrote:
>Ok, always wanted to ask, but always been too afraid... what exactly does a
>hotter or colder plug do for you??

A colder plug will dissipate the heat faster away from the plug. I used it
for this reason and the fact that I thought I was running on the rich side
... also supposed to help if experiencing mild detonation. Downside is that
if the majority of the driving is city-like, the plug could foul up ... needs
a run at highway speeds to clean up the tips.

A hotter plug does the opposite ... retains the heat from firing longer
... beneficial if engine is running on the lean (I think that I got this
straight) side.

I've read opposite opinions in a couple of Dak articles. One says run a
colder plug at the track; the other says, with EFI and today's modern
advances, run a hotter plug at the track (???). I've never tried a hotter
plug at the track.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.