Re: Mopar vs. Hypertech

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 08:28:51 EST

At 03:55 PM 1/5/00 -0800, you wrote:
>So if you had to choose between the Mopar SBEC at $362.69 or the Hypertech
>PTM at $269.95, which would you choose. Do these chips really do anything
>different from one another? Which ones better? I know with the Mopar one
>they say you cannot tow with it while Hypertech says you can tow with
>thiers, what's the reason for that? Jason

>From the DML feedback on the Hypertech PTM, I would stick with the MP PCM.
That's strictly looking at the computers from an ET improvement point of
view.

The MP computer raises the rev limiter to about 6300rpm and virtually does
away
(if not completely) with the speed limiter. I'm not clear if the Hypertech
for the Dakota does that.

The Hypertech one would allow me to have functional instrument gauges but
MP is apparently starting to move the one for the '97 318 auto. so that
won't be a problem anymore (currently using the '96 computer).

My guess is that the MP computer might have a little more advanced timing
than the Hypertech one and, with the added load of towing, there would be
a severe pinging problem.

Any other opinions?

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.