Re: Couple of Questions from a Neon Owner (Kind of Long)

From: Bill Ligon (ligon_w@hccs.cc.tx.us)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 12:55:22 EST

The 4x2 V8 is plenty capable of towing your Neon. I would avoid the V6
unless you are towing short distances on relatively flat terrain. Be sure
to properly equip truck for towing: heavy duty cooling and electric
packages; towing package; tire and handling pkg and probably the 3.92 rear
end over the 3.55.

The differences between Sport and SLT models is cosmetic.

The tow rating on the R/T is only 2000 lbs and hence would not be
appropriate for your situation.

V8 4.7 comes with auto or manual transmissions
V8 5.9 only come with auto transmission.

I here by state to all on the list that to avoid auto vs manual especially
for towing discussion I do hereby endorse neither and will Andy to allow to
make his own personal choice.

At 10:18 AM 1/6/00 , you wrote:
>Hello all:
>I currently drive a 1998 Dodge Neon. I am interested
>in buying a new Dakota for work and to tow my Neon to
>autocross races. I have a few questions for you guys
>with some experience with the Dakota's.
>
>First of all, is the 4X4 worth the extra money, since
>I live in Indiana a our winters are not too bad and I
>do not plan on off-roading much other then the
>occational job site visit?
>
>Second, since I will probably get a 4X2, is there a
>specific model that is better overall then others? I
>mean is the sport better then another model.
>
>Third, I really like the r/t's. Is there any downside
>to getting one. Any problems that I need take in to
>account? (Insurance?)
>
>Fourth, with all things considered, with engine is the
>best to get for the money? I prefer the V8, but is it
>the best.
>
>Lastly, Are there any across the board problems with
>the Dakota? Example, most Neon's will need a new head
>gasket sometime in there early life.
>
>I really appricate your help. I plan on getting my new
>truck this summer or fall and would like to have some
>back ground before I go out and spend ~$20k on a new
>truck.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Andy
>
>P.S. Feel free to email me privately.