Re: Couple of Questions from a Neon Owner (Kind of Long)

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 15:29:41 EST

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Andy Raubuck wrote:

> Hello all:
> I currently drive a 1998 Dodge Neon. I am interested
> in buying a new Dakota for work and to tow my Neon to
> autocross races. I have a few questions for you guys
> with some experience with the Dakota's.

   Welcome to the list!

> First of all, is the 4X4 worth the extra money, since
> I live in Indiana a our winters are not too bad and I
> do not plan on off-roading much other then the
> occational job site visit?

   When I ordered my '96, I went through the same process.
Eventually, I decided that the 4x4 wasn't worth the extra
money. That turned out to be fairly good for me as I got
bitten by the drag racing bug, and weight is your enemy.
However, my truck sucks in the snow and mud, so I went out
and bought myself an older 4x4 Ram for winter. If you know
that you will never want to race it, I would probably
recommend getting a 4x4. True, you don't need it most
of the time, but boy, when you do its great!! Plus, the
4x4s seem to hold their value a lot better than the 4x2s
when you go to sell or trade it in.

> Second, since I will probably get a 4X2, is there a
> specific model that is better overall then others? I
> mean is the sport better then another model.

   There used to be more differences than there are now.
On the latest Daks, it really comes down to styling preference.
IMHO, I like the looks of the sports with their blacked out
grilles and wheel flares a lot better than the SLTs with the
chrome grills and grey flares.

> Third, I really like the r/t's. Is there any downside
> to getting one. Any problems that I need take in to
> account? (Insurance?)

     You should know that the R/T is only rated to tow 2,000
lbs. I don't know if we ever really and truely figured
out exactly why, but it has something to do with the lowered
suspension. With that big 360, the R/T could make an excellent
towing vehicle; the problem is to figure out exactly why DC
dropped the rating, then fix the problem. (i.e. airbags, etc.)
   Since you're looking to tow, the R/T probably isn't the best
choice, but if you really like them, I'm sure the problem could
be worked around.

> Fourth, with all things considered, with engine is the
> best to get for the money? I prefer the V8, but is it
> the best.

   Absolutely. You'll never regret buying the V8, especially
since you will be towing with it. Compared to the price of the
whole vehicle, the extra money for the V8 is chicken feed.
There isn't much gas mileage savings with the 6 (1-2 mpg if you're
lucky) and when you're towing, I would not be surprised at all if
the V8 got much better gas mileage than the 6. An 8 is better
for resale, and should last longer too. By all means, go for
the 8!

> Lastly, Are there any across the board problems with
> the Dakota? Example, most Neon's will need a new head
> gasket sometime in there early life.

   Yep, once you get your foot into that power and realize
how much potential they have, a strange sickness will overcome
you. Soon you will sell the Neon, autocross the Dak, and get a
second mortgage on your house so you can buy more performance
parts. You laugh now, but just wait... ;-) (Seriously though,
no I can't think of any.)

   Welcome again to the list, and best of luck with your future Dak!

                                              -Jon-

  .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'